People always ask me what I miss most about eating meat after becoming a vegetarian. My answer is usually not much but I will say a really good comforting bowl of spaghetti and meatballs or bolognese was always so nice on occasion! I had been trying out different ways to recreate it and have finally found a way to not only get a sauce with similar comfort levels but jammed packed with veggies. Here you go, curl up with this bowl of lentil bolognese!
- 1 heaping cup of dried green lentils
- 2 tbsp avocado olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1⁄2 medium onion, diced
- 1-15 oz can organic diced tomatoes
- 1-15oz cans organic tomato sauce
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, sliced
- 1 tsp fennel seed
- 1⁄2 cup freshly chopped basil
- 1 tsp oregano
- salt & pepper
- Favorite spaghetti
- Heat oil in a large, deep nonstick skillet along with diced onion and garlic. Saute for a few minutes.
- Add in dried lentils and diced tomatoes with a 1/2 cup of water. Simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until lentils are fully cooked.
- Add in tomato sauce, mushrooms, zucchini, pepper, and spices, and stir.
- Bring to boil, then reduce heat and cover with lid for 10 minutes.
- Prepare noodles according to directions on package.
- Once sauce has cooled, serve over noodles. Add a little parm or leave plain, both are great!!