One of my favorite new traditions we’ve started during quarantine has been doing homemade pizza on Sundays, or just one weekend night. It’s so fun to make the dough, find new ingredients and really just do some ultimate experimentation in the kitchen together!
This was one of the first pizzas we did and absolutely one of my favorites. It’s got my daily greens, a mostly whole wheat crust (it’s good I promise!), a little spice, and of course, cheese! Not to mention, it’s so easy to make, prep for the pizza toppings took almost 10 minutes.
**Makes 12 inch pizza
- 1 homemade whole wheat crust
- 77 grams (roughly 1/2 cup plus 1 tbsp) whole wheat flour
- 77 grams (roughly 1/2 cup plus 1 tbsp) high gluten flour or all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup lukewarm water
- 1/2 cup homemade spinach pesto
- 2 cups shredded kale
- 8 oz torn mozzarella
- 2 cups arugula salad, for topping
- Lemon juice
- Apple cider vinegar or rice vinegar
- Red pepper flakes
- Sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees*
- I like to put my 12 inch cast iron skillet in the oven to get hot while it preheats so the crust doesn’t stick.
- Once preheated, put 1 tbsp olive oil in the skillet and place crust inside. Spread the pesto on the crust, add the kale, and mozzarella.
- Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes until cheese is melted and crust is golden.
- While the pizza is baking, mix together 2 cups arugula, 1 tbsp lemon juice, 2 tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar, sprinkle red pepper flakes for spice, sesame seeds, and salt and pepper. Mix all together and once the pizza is out,place the salad on top.
- So tasty, so quick, and all the greens you need for the day!